Mon 10th May

So how do you draw a line under all of this? When is the right time to stop? Do I continue until after the play offs have been completed?

In reality our season is now over and I think this is as good a time to stop as any. There is still the retained list to be announced, season ticket prices to scare me and the play off winners to be found. But I think this is a natural end point.

The retained list should be out next week and it would be really unfair to release anyone because they all deserve a crack at next season. However spaces have to be found to improve and develop the squad so a small release may be inevitable. Whoever is on it they leave with our great appreciation and their heads held high. No return to last season when the French boys scrambled through the back exit or like Hodgey did for the cash.

On the subject of season ticket prices just tell me how much and I’ll find the cash. As for the play off winners, does it matter? A wonderful season has ended with a wonderful achievement. Without question the most enjoyable of all of the ones I can remember.

There wasn’t a day like Old Trafford or the Milk Cup Semi and missing out on the Auto Windshield Final again was devastating but promotion isn’t the worst alternative. We’ve won more games in a season than I have ever seen and collected 87 points into the process. Again this is the most I’ve ever seen. I saw 71 of our 72 goals (63 league) and loved everyone of them.

I couldn’t even choose a player of the season. Walker has been simply outstanding, Marsh and Pointon impeccable, Viveash and Green were so solid, Larrusson and Brissett did the jobs we brought them in to do and Wrack is a born matchwinner. Rammell was the focal point of the team and it is his presence that probably made the difference. Keates has been stunning and there is no adjective to describe the continual improvement in Ian Roper. This though is undoubtedly a team effort and they all have earned and deserve their share of the limelight.

I have always been proud to be a Walsall fan and always will be. However the feelings I have had in the over the past nine months have been special and I am so pleased that they are documented here. Given that promotion wasn’t on the agenda last Autumn I can’t finish with the phrase “mission accomplished”. Perhaps a more appropriate description would be Miracle Accomplished.

I also feel that it'd be fitting to finish this record of the miracle with one statistical sentence... Nine months, fifty six games, nearly seven thousand miles, 2nd place and one Ray Graydon.